Solution to Kindle stuck in USB Drive Mode even when Ejected

Very impressed with this device, it makes reading a joy again (after noticing that reading a lot on traditional mobile device screens was becoming very straining on the eyes very quickly after a while).

With my Kindle I had the issue that I would connect it to a PC and it would switch into drive mode. The screen tells you that you can resume reading while charging by ejecting the device in Windows.

I did it via the small icon next to the clock and the Kindle would stay in the USB drive mode. I then found the Kindle as a Drive when I opened "My Computer". I right clicked the Kindle in that window and chose "Eject" after which I was able to use the device while it was recharging on the PC.

Comments

glittalogik said…
Thanks for this! I just received my Kindle 3 about 20 minutes ago and was puzzling over this.

No idea why Eject behaves differently between the systray and My Computer, but there you go :p
Kara said…
Thanks so much this was driving me nuts!!
Unknown said…
Thanks a lot for the info!
Karthik said…
Thanks man.... for a second i though there was something wrong with my kindle.
Neal Ekengren said…
yes, that works. but go figure. i never had to do this before. and why do I have to find your blog to figure this out. arghghgh. I suspect Microsoft updates recently have changed this behavior for me.
Unknown said…
Great! It worked! Although the USB mode message came up after I removed my Kindle from the wall charger, not even connected to the computer
Unknown said…
That's not a solution to Kindle stuck in USB mode even when ejected. That's a solution to "how to eject the kindle from you PC"... What if the kindle is actually stuck?!? I've unplugged mine and it still has the USB Drive Mode screen. I've tried pressing the power button and I've tried holding the power button. And that's all I can try since it only has one button. Thanks for nothing with your clickbait headline...
Thank you! Mine has been stuck in USB mode for a couple of days, and at last I've been able to read!!

Popular posts from this blog

Input Numbers with Kindle Keyboard without using the Symbol key